[TCOD] Presenting TCOD at the IUCr 23rd Congress?

Björkman Torbjörn torbjorn.bjorkman at aalto.fi
Mon Feb 10 14:16:09 UTC 2014

Dear Saulius and everyone else,

I'll be happy to join.

(I realize that people already have replied, sorry for not accounting for that, but I need to send this quickly now.)

One question back regarding your second question:
-- What are the existing quality criteria for COD? I know that I have to give Fabs, but that only applies if the data is not "old". However, data that is "old" (I forget the cutoff year) is still considered acceptable, so clearly it has been decided that the most important thing is not that a number is accurate but that an experienced person can see HOW accurate it is.

I think that we should calibrate our mindsets to this "intermediately liberal" attitude and would prefer a rather liberal attitude when it comes to the pure convergence parameters as long as the most important ones are given. That would be (in addition to which code was used...) a description of the basis set (e.g. something like "400 eV" for a plane wave pseudopotential code or perhaps "tier 1" if you use FHI-AIMS), k-point set and the force/cell convergence criterion. Then we could have a rough classification resulting in a little green, yellow or red label for well, intermediately and poorly converged calculations. A major problem is that the choice of functional may not be as easily tagged as good or bad. There are a number of pointers that all of us in the business know, and of course we can collect these into a sort of heuristic. The modern thing would of course be to crosslink structures in TCOD with corresponding structures in COD and let some kind of neural network (or similar) generate a new heuristic free from our biases, although of course biased by only accounting for the crystal structure.

Regards,
Torbjörn

P.S.
OK, so maybe someone has to go first and get complained at by everoyne else for his sloppy standards... Here a suggestion for marking up the two most important convergence parameters:
Max residual force on atoms < 0.01 eV/Å = good, 0.1-0.01 = intermediate, > 0.1 = low
K-point resolution < 0.2 Å^{-1} = good, 0.75-0.2 = intermediate, > 0.75 = low

There, I took the plunge, now to hide under my desk....
/T.B.

---
Torbjörn Björkman, PhD
COMP, Aalto University School of Science
Espoo, Finland