[TCOD] What structures do we accept to TCOD?

Saulius Gražulis grazulis at ibt.lt
Tue Jul 22 19:02:24 UTC 2014

On 2013-09-06 19:02, Stefaan Cottenier wrote:
> (9) Which kind of computed structures will TCOD accept? Ground state
> structures, obviously? Metastable structures probably as well? Also if
> they are not dynamically stable (soft phonon mode)? (that is not
> routinely examined) And what about transition state structures? (never
> observable in experiment, yet very useful to know -- and hard to find --
> in order to understand reactions) If the latter are allowed, then they
> should be tagged as such.

I find this suggestion very good and comprehensive. I have added the
'_tcode_structure_type' data name to cif_tcod.dic based on this
suggestion. I would be grateful if you verify that I did not put too
much nonsense into the definitions, my understanding if the
metastable/transition/soft phonon structures is so far rather limited...
The dictionary is in its usual place:
http://www.crystallography.net/tcod/cif/dictionaries/cif_tcod.dic
(Subversion repo: svn://cod.ibt.lt/tcod/cif/dictionaries/)

One more related question:

If I understand correctly, from what I recall from the QM lectures, we
can have in principle two kinds of boundary conditions for localised
particle wave functions:

a) vanishing at the infinity (modelling single molecule in vacuum), and
b) periodic (modelling an ideal crystal).

 From what I have read in manuals of the QM codes, most implement b),
and a) is approximated by putting a molecule in a large enough "unit
cell" so that interactions between molecule images are negligible.

Is this a correct view? Does any code implement (a) as a separate mode
of computation?

In either case, we should probably have a special tag that distinguishes
"true" crystal structures from the "convenience" unit cells that are
non-physical but are set up solely to solve a molecule structure problem
with the same code that also deals with crystals. Any ideas how to tell
from the computations which mode was used?

Regards,
Saulius

--
Saulius Gražulis