[TCOD] [SPAM] Re: Re: What structures do we accept to TCOD?

Björkman Torbjörn torbjorn.bjorkman at aalto.fi
Thu Jul 31 06:59:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

MaterialsProject is definitely not open in any sensible definition of the word. It also has a "semi-commercial" aspect (which has in principle nothing to do with openness), they run research for industry who then have a time-limited embargo on what came up (and, needless to say, they patent anything useful) before it can be added to their "publically" "accessible" database. The project also seems quite top-heavy in its decision processes, so respectless, open-minded experimentation with the data seems unlikely to come out of the team itself either. I have followed this project from a distance with a constantly decreasing enthusiasm.

An older (the oldest in condensed matter theory?) project in this genre is Mattias Klintenberg's "Electronic structure project" http://gurka.fysik.uu.se/esp/.   This data is unfortunately also not very accessible either (one reason being that it obeys the most important bit of the ICSD license and does not list geometries). It also only has one-at-a-time access and seems unlikely to be opened up in the forseeable future, among other things because it does not relax the structures but uses the ICSD data directly.

In fact, the ICSD license explicitly forbids you to store the database in a different format, so without their express permission (which was very easily obtained, though, I got some very positive reactions when I contacted them about my own project) you can't even begin to do your calculations. I think that ICSD could get the whole of the MaterialsProject off the web if they wanted to, relaxed structures and all, since it is all derived from an illegally obtained version of ICSD (i.e. their version stored in a different format). It is no small amount of irony that the MaterialsProject impose precisely that very same restriction on their users...

Anyway, you don't have to think about these things for long before you realize that it is absolutely necessary to have a good open alternative if you want to do research.

Cheers,
Torbjörn

---
Torbjörn Björkman, PhD
COMP, Aalto University School of Science
Espoo, Finland