[TCOD] Questions still left regarding TCOD dictionaries

Linas Vilciauskas linas.vilciauskas at nyu.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:42:43 UTC 2014

Dear Saulius and TCOD'ers
I'll try to make my comments and suggestions on the original questionnaire.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Saulius Gražulis <grazulis at ibt.lt> wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> I have a (rather long) list of questions regarding the TCOD
> dictionaries; I've tried to compile it here. I'd be grateful if you
> comment on them as much as you have time.
>
> Questions:
>
> a) the units of energy that we started to use in the dictionaries are eV
> (electron-Volts). For distances, we should probably use Angstroems,
> since then we can easier compare computation results with
> crystallographic experimental data. This naturally suggests units for
> forces as eV/A. Is that OK, or should we better use SI units of similar
> scale (say aJ -- atto-Joules, on the similar scale)? The only problem I
> see with eV is that it is measured, not defined from the basic SI units
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronvolt,
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/outside.html). We should probably stay
> of from Hartries, Rydbergs, Bohrs for archiving purposes, shouldn't we?

I think eVs are fine. They are more commonly used in the solid state
community. Whereas quantum chemists usually give them in Hartree. I think
eVs are better since many other people (experimentalists) use them and know
what they are.

> NB.: for archival computer files, it is more convenient to have all data
> in always in the same units, in all files, and not to allow different
> units -- at least with current standard software libraries.
>
> b) Is nuclear electric dipole moment used/necessary for DFT computations
> (_dft_atom_type_nuclear_dipole)?
>
> c) If b) is "yes", what units we should use for electric dipole (and
> higher moments) -- Debayes, e*A (amount of unit charges times
> Angstroems), or something else?
>
> d) Is my definition of residual forces in cif_tcod.dic,
> "data_tcod_atom_site_residual_force" correct/acceptable? If not, how
> should we define them?
>
> e) If I understand correctly, DFT and most other QM methods operate
> under Born-Oppenheimer approximation; under this approximation, electron
> densities (electron wave-functions) are optimised to minimal energy at
> fixed nuclei and unit cell parameters, and when this converges, the
> nuclei parameters and/or cell constants are changed slightly (e.g. along
> gradients), and the electron energy is minimised again. Is this a
> correct view? Is it a universal situation across QM codes?
>
> f) If e) is "yes", then we can talk about "microcycles" (electron w/f
> refinement) and "macrocycles" (nuclei/cell shifted in each
> "macrocycle"). We could also document total energy changes in all these
> cycles, to monitor the convergence, as I suggest in
> _tcod_computation_cycle_... data items. Is such view acceptable? What is
> the terminology used in different codes? Will such table be useful? Will
> it be easy to obtain from most codes?
>
> g) I have attempted to put all DFT related data items into the
> cif_dft.dic dictionary, and the general computational items (suitable
> also for MM and other methods), and into the cif_tcod.dic. Are all the
> parameters in cif_dft.dic indeed DFT specific? Are they named and
> commented properly?
>
> h) The CML CompChem dictionary mentions SCF as a method. I know HF and
> its modifications are SCF; is DFT technically also SCF? Are there more
> SCF methods that are not HF? Should we include "SCF" into the
> enumeration values of the _tcod_model as a separate model?
>
> i) "Model" is a very overloaded term. Maybe it would be better to rename
> _tcod_model to "_tcod_method", or "_tcod_theory_level"?

Ok. I introduced this term primarily because I was thinking about PCOD and
eventual merging of the two. My scheme was to reserve the _tcod_method for
a particular method used to predict the crystal structure (ab initio;
without the knowledge of an experimental one) which would be: packing,
Monte Carlo annealing, free energy based etc and etc. and reserve _tcod
model for a particular model which was used to describe the interactions
_dft _forcefield _hf etc. for the final refinement. We could also change it
to _theory_level or something.

> [...]
> big classes of basis functions, as I have learned, are localised
> (Slater, Gaussian) and plane wave. Should we introduce such
> classification on top of the _dft_basisset_type enumerator? Are
> localised bases relevant for DFT at all? Is it enough for DFT to specify
> just an energy cut-off, assuming plane wave bases (for a given
> pseudopotential), or are there different possible bases also among plane
> waves (I guess there should not be, but maybe I'm missing something...)?
> Or are localised bases sets relevant for computing pseudopotentials
> (cores)? Can I assume that dftxfit, dftorb and dftcfit are plane wave
> bases? What about 'periodic'? (these terms are all from the Basis Set
> Exchange database, I guess).
>
> k) What is the difference between _dft_atom_basisset and _dft_basisset?
> Can they be simultaneously used in one computation? If not, maybe we can
> merge the two definition sets into one?
>
> l) There are a lot of *_conv data items declared (e.g.
> _dft_basisset_energy_conv). Are they for convergence tests? Or for
> convolutions? What is their proposed definition?
>
> m) Is _dft_cell_energy the same as the "total energy" reported by some
> codes? Can we rename it to _dft_total_energy?
>
> n) Am I correct to assume that the "total energy" reported by codes will
> always be the sum of separate energy terms (Coulomb, exchange,
> 1-electron, 2-electron, etc.)? Is there an interest to have them
> recorded in the result data files (CIFs) separately? If yes, what is the
> "Hartree energy" (is it a sum of all single electron energies in the SCF
> for each of them?), "Ewald energy" (is it the electrostatic lattice
> energy, obtained by Ewald summation?) and the rest in the values from
> the AbInit output file? Are these terms consistent across QM codes?
>
> o) How does one check that computation has converged on k-points,
> E-cuttof, smear and other parameters, and that pseudopotential is
> selected right? From the Abinit tutorial
> (http://flex.phys.tohoku.ac.jp/texi/abinit/Tutorial/lesson_4.html) I got
> impression that one needs to run computation with different values of
> these parameters, and see that the total energy, or other gauge values,
> no longer change significantly when these parameters are increased. Is
> that right? If yes, are there codes that do this automatically? Should
> we require Etotal (or coordinates') dependence on k-grid, E-cuttof,
> smear, to check convergence when depositing to TCOD? Or should TCOD side
> check this automatically when appropriate (say for F/LOSS codes)?
>
> p) what are other obvious things that one could make wrong in QM/DFT
> computations, that could be checked formally?
>
> Sorry for a long list, but I would like to get the things possibly from
> the very beginning...
>
> Regards,
> Saulius
>
> PS. If you find obvious mistakes in the current dictionaries, please
> feel free to correct them and commit the corrections back to the

I'll follow up on the other questions later.

Regards,

Linas

--
Linas Vilciauskas