[TCOD] Presenting TCOD at the IUCr 23rd Congress?

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Mon Feb 10 13:41:33 UTC 2014

Hello Saulius,

Yes, I agree to be on the author list. Something as TCOD deserves a good
try -- although I'm not fully convinced yet in which shape it needs to
be in order to be realistic and useful.

Let me share in this respect a recent story:

Two weeks ago, we attended a workshop where code verification was a main
topic. DFT predictions obtained by several mainstream codes for a small
benchmark set of solids were compared. Although the overall agreement
was quite satisfying, there were small yet annoying discrepancies among
predictions from the four codes that all had independent implementations
of the same 'golden standard' basis set method (APW+lo). That method
should serve as the reference, hence it is problematic that even there
there was no full agreement.

As a follow-up, several people representing all four codes involved, are
now trying to get 'identical' predictions by providing as much as
possible the same input to all four codes. We seem to get there,
eventually, but only after extensive communication to identify all
hidden defaults that are usually not touched, but that are different in
all codes.

In the light of this sobering experience, attempting to give in TCOD a
'full' specification of the applied method seems even more impossible to
me than I thought before. It will never be sufficiently complete. And
the more complete you try it to make, the higher you will make the
barrier for people to deposit their data (you might end up asking many
parameters that most people never care about or even know about). I tend
to favour the scenario of asking only about a limited set of really
essential parameters.

Best,
Stefaan