[TCOD] What structures do we accept to TCOD?

Saulius Gražulis grazulis at ibt.lt
Mon Jul 28 09:35:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 2014-07-25 06:51, Linas Vilciauskas wrote:
> But would it not becoming, reaction and not crystallographic database?
> Having a phonon spectrum, even if there are imaginary modes is probably
> very useful, some materials only become stable due to anharmonicity,

You are right. Actually, we have discussed the issue with Peter
Murray-Rust, and he has dispelled some of my misunderstandings about the
breadth of the quantum chemistry uses.

It seems that it makes sense that we focus on the QM optimisations (most
will be DFT I suppose) of *crystalline* materials. After all, TCOD is a
crystallography database, isn't it? :)

As a person affiliated with molecular biology and drug design, I would
be of course also interested in comparing crystal structures with
gas-phase (or I would rather say in vacuo) QM optimised structures; but
these, as Peter has told me, are much more diverse and thus more
difficult to manage in a coherent database. So we can postpone their
addition; in any case, we'll have to flag them carefully and probably
keep separately (different ID range or namespace?).

These are just ideas, I regard this as the idea generation stage where
the community expectations and our capabilities will become clear so
that we can put them down as a set of principles to guide us. Please
feel free to contribute and contradict :)

Regards,
Saulius

--
Saulius Gražulis