[TCOD] What structures do we accept to TCOD?

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Thu Jul 31 06:22:38 UTC 2014

> This is not to say that they are doing anything bad or not useful under
> special circumstances, but we may not/can not reuse the MP data for
> TCOD, so it is of little use for us.

Hello Saulius,

I was not suggesting we could possibly reuse the MP data, I only wanted
to warn that we are not the only/first ones who ponder about translating
for-pay crystallographic info into the not-for-pay area.

I know your sensitivities ;-), but personally I'm not too much concerned
by these privacy issues. Money can be a barrier for progress, so I like
scientific information to be accessible without paying. But if a
supplier of scientific information asks me some information in return
instead of money, I don't care. Even if it would trigger direct
marketing (I wish them good luck when trying to direct-market me -- I
delete every morning >50% of the new emails without reading them at all).

Of course, I prefer to contribute to projects that are maximally open.
But I know that in the world in which we live many scientists face
constraints that prevent them to make their data as open as you wish.
And I will not deliberately keep myself unaware about their knowledge
just because I want to protect my google profile ;-)

And now I shut up about this issue, as it is going to be off-topic as
far as the TCOD mailing list is concerned.

Best,
Stefaan